Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 21, 2017, 12:28:52 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Please note: Anyone posting ads not relating to FBI or FBI games or posting other unsolicited spam will be removed from this forum, will have all their posts removed, and will be banned from rejoining.

*** DO NOT POST SPAM!!! ***

Want to become a member???

Due to the huge amount of spam, registration is now completely manual. To become a member of the board, send an email to:

craig@october.com.au

Please be sure to include some info about the games you play so we know you're serious and not a spammer!! :-) Also choose a username (maybe one of your player names?).
We'll reply with your login details.

+  Flying Buffalo Forums
|-+  Mobius
| |-+  Mobius Strategies
| | |-+  A plea for Mobius Lore
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A plea for Mobius Lore  (Read 4219 times)
Captain Space

View Profile
A plea for Mobius Lore
« on: June 20, 2007, 02:33:28 PM »

Undecided

I'm unable to find my old FBQ issues 60,69 and 70.  Is there perhaps a generous soul out there that could take the time to post a few tidbits from them for the general community to peruse.  A good Didjaknow section is a great fountation to start strategy discussions on.   

I'm especially interested in the percentages for occupied orbits by star type, but also types of exotics  likely to be found based on planet class.   I'm not expecting people to give away their secret winning strategies, but some of this stuff is fairly common knowledge and posting it could greatly benifit the Mobius commmunity by helping newer players bridge the gap and provice some healthy happy competion rather than foundering and dropping out. 
GrumpyHumbug

View Profile
Re: A plea for Mobius Lore
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 03:07:39 AM »

I am considering signing up for this after years of WWBP playing and one not-so-great attempt at StarWeb.  The rules are massive and somewhat confusing, is there any distilled wisdom that some kind soul could pass along before I try Mobius?

Ian
The Grumpy Humbug
prodigal

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 10:53:33 AM »

Distilled wisdom?  There are some old FBQ's, but I no longer own them, and haven't been able to find any online.  Perhaps Flying Buffalo still has some old dusty ones.

Either way, perhaps you have some specific questions I (or someone else) could answer. I am not exactly a font of Mobius wisdom, but I have played a little - way back when. 

I also recently started playing again and am in the Mo-S/103 game that just started on June 6th. Coincidentaly that is three days after your post.  Grin

Did you pershaps join it?
GrumpyHumbug

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 11:18:18 AM »

No, I haven't signed up for a game yet, waiting for some of my WWBP games to end so I'm not overwhelmed.

I'm familiar with StarWeb and Battle Plan, what are the main differences that Mobius has with those two?

Ian
The Grumpy Humbug
prodigal

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 11:59:50 AM »

Mobius is a lot more detailed. 

For example, both it and Starweb are set in space.  When you start Starweb though, you get a certain number of ships, and these ships are generic.  All your ships are exactly the same, and your ships are exactly like everyone elses in the game.

However, on the startup turn for Mobius, every player needs to design his own ship. This design is then used by that player for the entire game, but his design can vary from the design of every other player.

There are alot of options and tradeoffs to consider when designing your ships. While in Starweb every ship can move three stars in a single turn, Mobius ship movement is more open ended and is chosen by the player when designing his ship.

This allows a player to decide what sort of tradeoffs he wishes to make. Perhaps he wants ships that have a shorter range.  This will allow him to have ships with more weapons/shields/cargo bays then if he had decided to go with longer range ships.  Conversely he could decide to go with longer range ships with more of its mass taken up with a larger engine, thus meaning he would have less attack/defense/carrying capacity as a similary sized ship with a shorter range.

Of course, how much of a ship is assigned to attack as opposed to defense or cargo is also controled by the player when designing his ship.

I hope this explains some of the added complexity in this game as opposed to Starweb/Battle plan. 

I like them all, but really like the extra time I need to spend on a Mobius turn making all the decisions that other games make for you.
prodigal

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 06:02:01 AM »

The original poster asked about FBQ 60, 69, and 70.  I ordered those issues from Flying Buffalo and got them in the mail yesterday.  Here is a very brief synopsis of each article to see if you would perhaps like to order your own copy (they were $1.50 each + S&H)

FBQ60: This is an article by Scott Rich that discusses the question: "I just got the startup turn - now what?".  To make it even more interesting, it also has embedded comments in the article by Dan Carver, one of the game's designers.

FBQ69:  This is by Jeffery L. Hall.  It is in the style of, "This is a great game, and here is why I like it".   Not a lot of detail, but more like a general overview of the fun things about the game.  Also lists a few things he is not partial to.

FBQ70: This is written by Edi Birsan.  It is a detailed review of the game much like those I remember seeing, and liking the most, in the Flagship or Paper Mayhem magazines once upon a time. At five pages it is also the longest of the articles.  Compiled from 16 games of Mobius, it has the type of information that the original poster was asking about (ex. Observed occurrence of planets at each orbit depending on star type).

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 06:04:01 AM by prodigal » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length