Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2017, 03:25:21 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Please note: Anyone posting ads not relating to FBI or FBI games or posting other unsolicited spam will be removed from this forum, will have all their posts removed, and will be banned from rejoining.

*** DO NOT POST SPAM!!! ***

Want to become a member???

Due to the huge amount of spam, registration is now completely manual. To become a member of the board, send an email to:

craig@october.com.au

Please be sure to include some info about the games you play so we know you're serious and not a spammer!! :-) Also choose a username (maybe one of your player names?).
We'll reply with your login details.

+  Flying Buffalo Forums
|-+  Battle Plan (and WWBP)
| |-+  Battle Plan Games
| | |-+  WW-A265
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: WW-A265  (Read 2663 times)
Lin Goldstein

View Profile
WW-A265
« on: May 07, 2012, 06:22:32 PM »

Wink

1           28          [3:BRIT COLUMBIA]    Lin Goldstein
2           27          [7:RIO DE JANEIRO]   Tim Randall
3           24          [4:LYON]             Glen Chip Grier
  &          24          [12:TOGO]            Bill McClintock
5           15          [9:SOUTH AUSTRALIA]  Bryan Taylor
6           12          [8:RAJASTHAN]        Shane Harney
7           10          [6:NEWFOUNDLAND]     Phil Cressey
8           9           [11:TANZANIA]        John Balda
9           8           [2:BELIZE]           Jeff Gargrave
  &          8           [10:SYRIA]           Ian Densmore
11          6           [5:MANCHURIA]        Heather Berg
  &          6           [1:BALTIC STATES]    Don Palmer

Phil Cressley (NNF) apparently made a all-out run against Jeff Gargrave (NBE), and ruined a good chance of peace with me by defending a minor I controlled and bidding for several other minors I owned.   I ended up defeating him and also getting NBE when Tim Randall (SRJ) invited me to attack him.  Tim later sued for 2nd place, which I was happy to accept, as fighting him would take awhile, and I wanted to prepare for attacking Bryan Taylor (PSA), especially with Tim as an ally.  I waited until ATO attacked ELY, then struck SRJ with Tim.   As I had delayed the attack for several turns, using the Naval support orders to inform Tim what I wouild like him to do, if the attack was on, he interpreted my messages as time to declare war against PSA, and so did, resulting in a coordinated attack with him in WCO and me in WPI.   As Bryan hadn't been spying or counterspying, but eager to respond, he tried a 100+ missile attack on us, but resulting in only one going through our ABM screens.   He then dropped, presumably ouit of frustration.

ATO and ELY settled their war in a few turns, and after an aggressive attempt to end the war against ATO failed, I decided to keep ATO and ELY busy, while I and SRJ consolidated, and then could build to crush them.   The consolidation effort succeeded, as ATO and ELY threatened very little of PSA's former territory, and ATO and ELY eventually dropped.   SRJ dropped after ATO and ELY missed three turns, while I did a few experiments while waiting, and captured territory from ATO/ELY but not SRJ.

ATO and ELY's drop on the same turn seems like possible cheating, but there was no other evidence of coordinated turns by those two players.   And if both players wanted third place or better, a coordinated drop shortened the game.

ELY wrote me after the game that he had tried to get ATO to attack me, but ATO went after him instead.  Hard to blame ATO, as if I joined against ELY like ATO wanted, ELY could attack me, after ELY was crippled or dead, with PSA and probably end up the winner.   SRJ also wanted me to attack ELY, but I sensed an easy victory against PSA, and with ATO and ELY fighting, hoped for the time needed to get that victory.   With PSA dropping, the victory turned out to be easy.

I believe WW-A266 is near completion and plan to write some strategy articles once WW-A266 is done.
shaneh

View Profile
Re: WW-A265
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 11:00:56 AM »

My first game in a LONG time!  Number one lesson learned...never grant full spy as a gesture of good will in an anonymous game. Wink
Lin Goldstein

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 06:01:01 PM »

Actually, granting full spies in an anonymous game can be good strategy.   From players that reciprocate you
get to see sea spaces they are in, a big advantage.   I almost always match F spies to players who do it,
and have sent F spies to everyone in the anonymous risk games.  Normally don't F spy in regular anonymous
games, but may try selective F spies to players far away from me, in the future.   I don't like revealing my
minor propaganda levels in regular games, thus delay exchanging spies until they are mostly occupied.
tprand

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 08:30:02 AM »

It took me the extra turns to drop as I wasn't sure if ATO had actually resigned or not. If nothing else, sounds like you were able to experiment a bit more. I did realize that fighting you would be detrimental to the overall cause, so I chose 2nd place. That freed us both up to attack PSA...although his missile attack was surprisingly offtarget. I was a bit lucky by defending ATO's invasion, had he taken over SNA, it would have certainly hurt my ability to assist NBC. I am sure the next turn he realized I was entrenched as NBC's number 2.
Anyway, the full spies can work well. The gesture of goodwill on the part of Lin assured me he was not going to march my way so I reciprocated the following turn. However, I would recommend establishing a good alliance first.
Lin Goldstein

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 04:41:02 PM »

Players might not be aware that one can drop conditionally on whether other players have also dropped.   I don't
know the exact conditions, but an Email to rick@flyingbuffalo.com on the specific conditon you want will let you
know if what conditions you want are allowed.   I believe the most common desired request, I drop if I take (or
tie for) ### place is definitely allowed.   So when the two other players missed the turn, I believe Tim could have
wrote FBI and said "I drop if I can take 2nd withouit ties" or maybe even "I drop if LYON and TOGO have dropped".
Confirmation from Jeff and/or Ian?
bill_ak

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 07:47:04 AM »

I just looked at this forum and see lots of stuff I am interested in.

Regarding WW-A265 below was my conditional resignation message that I sent to FB on T24.  I also sent a set of orders to execute in case the conditions weren't met.

CONDITIONAL RESIGNATION - I resign if the result would be that I tie
for 2nd or 3rd.  Otherwise, no resignation.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length