Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2017, 03:28:18 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Please note: Anyone posting ads not relating to FBI or FBI games or posting other unsolicited spam will be removed from this forum, will have all their posts removed, and will be banned from rejoining.

*** DO NOT POST SPAM!!! ***

Want to become a member???

Due to the huge amount of spam, registration is now completely manual. To become a member of the board, send an email to:

craig@october.com.au

Please be sure to include some info about the games you play so we know you're serious and not a spammer!! :-) Also choose a username (maybe one of your player names?).
We'll reply with your login details.

+  Flying Buffalo Forums
|-+  General Discussions
| |-+  General Chit-Chat
| | |-+  Unofficial Sequel to Starweb?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Unofficial Sequel to Starweb?  (Read 230 times)
Vectrex

View Profile
Unofficial Sequel to Starweb?
« on: April 10, 2017, 07:37:38 PM »

Several years ago, I saw a website/fan-site for an "unofficial sequel" to Starweb. 

The most interesting improvements they made were adding 6 new "unique" characters to play for a total of 12 characters!

Does anybody know the name of this game?  Does it still exists?  Did you ever play it?
Craig Delahoy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
Re: Unofficial Sequel to Starweb?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 09:03:54 PM »

Never heard of it.
Vectrex

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 04:50:16 PM »

I think 2 of the new characters were the "Scrapper" and the "Warlord."  They even added new artifacts too.

Because it was a tribute game, they could only offer the turns for free.  Still, some of the improvements would have added considerable new life to an old game.
Heime

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 02:02:35 PM »

Not  SW sequel, but a "knock-off" was Pellic Quest in the late 80s. Had a bug/berserker character called a Zente that killed pop and then bred more warriors on worlds that only had them on it. Also combined the merchant and AC character.
Vectrex

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 12:44:49 AM »

I found the game that I was looking for!  It is called RSW: Retro Space Wars.  It acknowledges that it is a tribute to Starweb.  Likewise, the game is free, and it appears to still be active.

They offer both "classic" and "advanced" games.  The "advanced" game has the following enhancements:

Five new characters! (Architect, Arms Dealer, Skip Tracer, Scavenger, and the Warlord + the old characters too)
New Artifacts (100 artifacts total, including the old ones)

Overall, this looks very impressive.  However, I do remember talking to a player who played this game years ago and he said it wasn't run as efficiently as Flying Buffalo because it is a non-commercial game.  Still, it has a lot of new features that I wish would have been adopted years ago.  I like that they even offer a 6 player version of the game with a smaller map.

http://rswgame.com/en/welcome

Vectrex

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 11:40:23 PM »

I've been reading about the advanced game of RSW and there are definitely some interesting features about the game and its new characters:

+ Treasure worlds (distant worlds that have a bonus of keys, industries, and artifacts)
+ The Architect can build and destroy connections between worlds.  It cost them lots of ships though.
+ The Arms Dealer can build ships without industries, but can't move or fire while doing it, but can move up to 4 worlds.
+ The Skip Tracer can probe for "free" on worlds that they own and move 4 worlds at a time and survive black holes.
+ The Scavenger can capture 1/4 of the fleets that they destroyed, but those new fleets can't fire on the next turn.
+ The Warlord has shots that are 50% stronger and they can conquer worlds that have been populated by robots or converts.

So, do you think these new characters and enhancements would make it a better game or a more cluttered game?

Vectrex

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 06:16:23 AM »

I have visited this website a few more times and it sounds like they even offer a more simplified version of Starweb for newbies called the "Core" game.   Supposedly, it has no character types., industries, or artifacts.  Ships are built automatically based on how many worlds you own that are adjacent to each other.

It sort of reminds me of Galactic Conflict, but probably even more straightforward.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length