Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 21, 2017, 12:32:30 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Please note: Anyone posting ads not relating to FBI or FBI games or posting other unsolicited spam will be removed from this forum, will have all their posts removed, and will be banned from rejoining.

*** DO NOT POST SPAM!!! ***

Want to become a member???

Due to the huge amount of spam, registration is now completely manual. To become a member of the board, send an email to:

craig@october.com.au

Please be sure to include some info about the games you play so we know you're serious and not a spammer!! :-) Also choose a username (maybe one of your player names?).
We'll reply with your login details.

+  Flying Buffalo Forums
|-+  Starweb
| |-+  Starweb Strategies
| | |-+  Shooting IND
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Shooting IND  (Read 121 times)
Snotnose

View Profile
Shooting IND
« on: June 24, 2017, 08:42:05 AM »

Snotnose

View Profile
Re: Shooting IND
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 09:40:05 AM »

There is a problem with the posting software here, too many posts show up mt.  I know I for one actually entered something, and previewed it.

Anywhoo, I only play multi anonymous SW nowdays.  Couple games ago I invaded a guy, he shot the IND off his HWs before I could cap them.  When the game ended I asked FBI to send him my email so we could chat.  He replied, said basically "Why would I let you use my Ind?  Basic military strategy".

So, current game.  Invaded a guy, he's shooting his HW's IND before I can cap them.  He has no chance of winning, yet he's shooting the IND.  As it's an anonymous game I can't tell if it's the same guy or not, but I certainly hope so. 

Me?  I think shooting HW IND is bad sportsmanship.  It's a game, the idea is to cap HWs.  Killing IND is horse hockey.

What say y'all?  Is shooting IND when you are clearly losing acceptable?  How about when you still have a shot at winning?
Snotnose

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 09:41:56 AM »

Found the problem.  For the previous post I copied my text before preview, then previewed, all was good.  Hit post, read the thread, saw another mt message.  Copied back the text, posted without preview, and here we are.

So, looks like previewing your post before posting results in an mt post.
Snotnose

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 09:45:44 AM »

Back when I was young and skinny I was a welder.  When the gas tanks ran dry we used chalk to write MT on them, indicating they are empty.

It's a subconscious habit I still have some 40 years later.

This thread will be nothing about shooting IND, I can see it now Sad
Snotnose

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 01:37:55 PM »

LOL vectrex
Lin Goldstein

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 05:56:29 PM »

Snot guy, I disagree with you completely.   It's best in diplomacy games to be known as someone
who will shoot off their industry if attacked, this would discourage other players from attacking that player once his reputation is known, but in a multi-game, going after one HW and seeing the industry wiped out, just might get the attacker to seek conquests elsewhere.   Just as a history, in the early years (in 2nd-5th years about 1/2 of Flying Buffalo's SW games started, late 70's-early 80's) "bad" dropped positions ("good" dropped positions would get a replacement players, and there was a big waiting list for players willing to take a position') would be run by Flying Bufallo employees and fire at HW industry when the situation was hopeless.    Then at some point they came up with an "undead" list, where for a small price players could get one of the "bad" dropped positions.   Nowadays, I understand that there are NO standby positions (although you can "will" your position to a friend.    Also, why shouldn't a player losing to you deny you assets, even worse he could give his ships and keys to a competing player to make it harder for you to win    YOU attacked him, as a result, you are his ENEMY, and he doesn't want you to win.

Well, looks like we've both fallen in love with the Anon Multi BE games, so we'll have to decide what is the line between cheating and not cheating in discussing the game.    I already announced my character types for the game, you'll eventually figure out who I am.      Mid-game fight or no fight?

Lin Gold
Vectrex

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 12:42:04 PM »

I wrote a very long and intelligent post last night, but it got lost in the void of the Internet.

Hey, I agree with Lin on this topic.

Starweb isn't Chess.  It's a modern game that accommodates many different types of play styles.  Sometimes, the actions of other players will annoy you, but that's the point.  I think things like "gifts" and "PBB" were designed as tools for revenge in Starweb.

I think the "unpredictability" of the game is what makes it so much fun for me!

Craig Delahoy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 11:29:04 AM »

If you've ever read any history of the many failed attempts to invade Russia, one of their most successful strategies was the "scorched earth" strategy. In this, the Russians would retreat deeper into Russia, burning everything as they went - buildings, crops, stock. That way the invading army had no food, no shelter. Once they were hungry, exhausted and cut-off, the Russians would rush back and annihilate them. Basic military strategy. So I see nothing wrong with killing off industry in SW.
Heime

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 03:04:12 PM »

Snotnose:
If the rules let you do it, absolutely no reason you can't, even if it pisses others off (in some cases, you do it just because it pisses others off). If enemies killing their own industry annoys you so much, do the counter-intuitive thing (if you can) and transfer Iships to the HW so they can't nuke themselves while you shoot up their fleets.

Lin:
It is definitely against the rules to identify yourself in an anonymous game and communicate with other players by any means while it's going on. There is no discussion needed "to decide what is the line between cheating and not cheating in discussing the game." The line is clear and you have already crossed it. I would suggest you cease any discussion on any anonymous game still going on.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length