Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2017, 03:36:13 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Please note: Anyone posting ads not relating to FBI or FBI games or posting other unsolicited spam will be removed from this forum, will have all their posts removed, and will be banned from rejoining.

*** DO NOT POST SPAM!!! ***

Want to become a member???

Due to the huge amount of spam, registration is now completely manual. To become a member of the board, send an email to:

craig@october.com.au

Please be sure to include some info about the games you play so we know you're serious and not a spammer!! :-) Also choose a username (maybe one of your player names?).
We'll reply with your login details.

+  Flying Buffalo Forums
|-+  General Discussions
| |-+  General Chit-Chat
| | |-+  Is Galactic Conflict a better game than Starweb?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Is Galactic Conflict a better game than Starweb?  (Read 133 times)
Vectrex

View Profile
Is Galactic Conflict a better game than Starweb?
« on: July 27, 2017, 05:25:20 AM »

Galactic Conflict is a fine game that has obviously been overshadowed by the legendary Starweb.  However, I wonder if anybody on the forum actually prefers Galactic Conflict over Starweb?

Personally, I prefer Starweb.  I think the different characters and artifacts just make it a bit more complex and rewarding game to play.  I prefer Starweb's combat too.

However, I must admit that Galactic Conflict has some interesting features that make it feel like it truly is it's own game, which it of course it is.  I love how probes can be sent to any planet from any planet.  The 3 different ships and the civilian projects really make building and planning hard and unique. In addition, I like that the player's worlds can essentially be connected by a warp zone. 

Indeed, really do wish Galactic Conflict was more popular because Chuck really created a special game.  Furthermore, I really wish I could play a slow anonymous game of GC, but I'm sure that option probably will never be offered.

So, tell me your thoughts on this Galactic Conflict vs. Starweb debate.  Did it "re-invent the wheel" of space combat games in a better way or not?

OldDavy

AKA Participant-Observer

View Profile
Re: Is Galactic Conflict a better game than Starweb?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 12:34:40 AM »

Well, this is not particularly helpful, but Starweb winners for get a shiny pin/ badge.

(More seriously, I'd really like to hear people's opinions on this, as I'm looking to start a second Buffalo game.)

Cheers,

-- David

----
There's only one rule that I know of, babies--"God damn it, you've got to be kind."--Eliot Rosewater in Kurt Vonnegut's God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater
Vectrex

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 08:15:41 AM »

Starweb "probably" is a better game...  Plus, you can play a trial game of it for free.

However, I really do enjoy playing Galactic Conflict.  It also has that classic, old school "addictive" gameplay that Flying Buffalo really excels at providing.  You probably know this that Charles Gaydos designed GC and a few other games for the mighty Buffalo.  He really deserves to be interviewed by S&D too.  He has a talented and creative mind!
Lin Goldstein

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 06:54:01 PM »

Check out Waiting Lists on the Flying Buffalo website.   You'll find that GC games have no variants, and can take an awful long time to start, needing about 8 players for the game.   SW, on the other hand, if you pick the right variant can start in a matter of weeks.    Or sign up for Rick's PBM Email (or probably Facebook and/or Twitter), and Rick will often announce that he plans to start a variant soon.

As for the games, both have interesting features, but with fewer players in GC and a lack of character types, SW is definitely more challenging in cooperation and alliance structures.   GC can be hard to break into the established player alliances formed by the same players playing in every single game.    Plus I think the established players don't fight each other much, as a rule.

Lin
Vectrex

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 08:58:46 AM »

Lin, you provided an interesting perspective on the debate.  Truth be know, I have only played ONE game of GC and I think being a newbie to the game made me a keen target to the veteran players.  I was essentially stabbed in the back by my only ally.  He even had the nerve to write to me after conquering my home world and just kind of patted himself on the back for how smoothly his victory went.

I definitely prefer anonymous games because I hate all of the pre-game alliances from the old-timers.

Back to GC, it is great game and it definitely got it's own unique vibe.  I started the game expecting it to play like "Starweb on training wheels," but was quickly surprised by the depth of the somewhat simpler game.  It took me several turns to readjusted to it combat system, but it was too late at that point. 

I always wondered if Rick told Chuck that he could make a space war game as long as it was a somewhat inverted version of Starweb.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length